Semiconductor and Wafer Processing Solutions
CAS designs and manufactures critical in-chamber heating and cooling devices, as well as custom-engineered thermal devices for a variety of wafer processing applications.
Components from CAS are at the heart of the semiconductor industry’s most advanced wafer processing approaches. Our New Product Development Team has contributed to the furtherance of pioneering front-end technologies, while the CAS Manufacturing Center commands robust capacities to provide high-volume production to top tier OEMs.
- Pedestal Heaters: CAS designs and manufactures custom-engineered high-uniformity pedestals for a variety of processes, including CMP, photolithography, ash/strip, deposition, ion implant, and more.
- Specialty Thermal Components: Our New Product Development Team is renowned for its innovations in chamber ring heaters, valve heaters, shower-heads, and other specialized components. With the very latest thermal modeling technology and a large in-house R&D Lab, our capabilities in this arena are exceptional.
- Standard Platens: 200 and 300 mm heated platens are available as standard product offerings.
- High-Purity Gas Heaters: CAS's PUR-Therm Gas Delivery Heaters offer high-purity heating chamber gases.
- Wet Bench Circulation Heaters: Our PUR-X and CAST-X Circulation Heater lines are compatible with solvent, DI water, and non-critical gas heating applications.
Precision-Engineered Pedestal Heaters
Cast Aluminum Solutions is a leader in designing and manufacturing high-performance pedestal heaters. Excellence is our goal at every step, from needs analysis and initial design, through iterative thermal and structural modeling, to prototyping fabrication and testing, and the transition to high-volume production.
- Our cast-in approach delivers long heater life and unmatched thermal uniformity. Vacuum brazed and interference fit construction (IFC) approaches are excellent non-cast alternatives.
- Aluminum 356 is the primary casting alloy for pedestal heaters, with exceptional compatibility for most process environments, and a maximum operating temperature of 450°C (840°F), with typical temperature uniformity of ±0.3% or better.
- With IFC, aluminum 6061 can be utilized, or for higher operating temperatures, CAS offers solutions in various stainless steel grades, copper, nickel, and other high-performance alloys.
- Precision CNC machining creates components that meet rigorous flatness requirements; surface features, such as wafer lift holes, proximity pins, and vacuum groove arrays are also available.
- Shafts are integrated via TIG or electron beam welding then helium leak checked for vacuum integrity.
- Coating options include hard-coat anodizing, electroless nickel plate, gold or copper plate, powder coating options, micro lapping, and more. Passivation procedures are also available.
- Cleaning and packaging to semi-industry specifications is available at our in-house cleanroom facility.
Custom-Engineered Semiconductor Components
Leading equipment manufacturers rely on CAS for specialized components that solve difficult process challenges. Our dedicated New Product Development Team, supported by a large in-house R&D Lab, shepherds custom-engineered components through the full development cycle, from concept to prototype and production.
- CAS’s New Product Development Team offers engineering tools and manufacturing resources explicitly dedicated to modeling, fabricating, and testing new products and custom-engineered prototypes.
- Engineering and laboratory technologies include structural and thermal modeling using finite element analysis (FEA), x-ray and ultrasound inspection technology, helium leak testing, 3-D CAD software, accelerated life cycle testing, and infrared thermal imaging in both ambient and vacuum chamber setting.
- Examples: heated shower heads for gas distribution, heated chamber liners & lids, rim & edge heaters, cleanroom air heaters, valve cylinder heaters, special inline liquid/gas heaters, special-geometry heated platens, and custom chill plates for wafer cooling stations.
- Available materials include aluminum 356, aluminum 6061, stainless steel, bronze, copper, and more.
- Fabrication techniques include cast-in, IFC (interference fit construction, and vacuum brazed.
Standard 200 & 300 mm Heated Platens
CAS offers standard 200 mm and 300 mm heated platens as readily-available components, ideal for machine trials, proof-of-concept experiments, or as spare heaters.
- Manufactured using our proprietary pressurized casting process with heating elements cast-in
- Base Material: Aluminum alloy 356
- Finishes: bare machined aluminum or hard anodize (MIL-A-8525, Type III, Class 1) (.05 mm / 0.002”)
- Deflection / surface flatness: < 0.0005 in. (0.013 mm)
- Cleaning regime includes ultrasonic wash followed by IPA wipe down
- 200 mm dimensions: Diameter: 228.6 mm (9”), Thickness: 31.75 mm (1.25”) with 3 Lift Pin Holes
- 300 mm dimensions: Diameter: 350 mm (13.78”), Thickness: 40 mm (1.575”) with 3 Lift Pin Holes
- 200 mm power: 1681W at 208V (2241W at 240V) with J or K-type thermocouple available
- 300 mm power: 3350W at 208V (xxxxW at 240V) with J or K-type thermocouple available
- Operating temperatures to 752°F (400°C)
- Temperature uniformity to ± 0.3% of set point
- Platens are delivered as a single piece, ready for installation
Carrier and Process Gas Delivery Heaters
Our PUR-Therm Gas Delivery Heater - with a design unique to Cast Aluminum Solutions - has been meticulously engineered and thoroughly tested to meet the semiconductor industry’s most stringent purity standards for the heating of carrier gases and process gases destined for the deposition chamber.
- PUR-Therm was designed as a more efficient, more precise mechanism for heating carrier gases and chamber process gases (when compared to silicone wrap gas line heaters).
- Gases are isolated in a .25" (6.3mm) OD ultra-high purity seamless 316L seamless stainless steel flow tube, with pre-installed industry-standard ultra-high purity VCR fittings.
- Third-party particle testing (for >=0.3 μm and >=0.1 μm size particles) shows PUR-Therm’s flow-tube meets the Semi F70 standard for Ultra-High Purity.
- The flow-tube’s electropolished ID meets Semi F19 standards for Ultra High Purity: Avg. Ra = 2.53 μin (0.064262 μm), Maximum Ra = 3.19 μin (0.081026 μm).
- The flow tube's bend radius complies with Semi E49 Guidelines for Inert and Reactive Gases.
- Passivation to ASTM-967 specificiations is standard.
- Features a replaceable heating element: 400 Watts / 208 Volt is standard, with other options available.
- A dual-sensor K-type thermocouple is standard (J-Type available upon request).
- The optional insulating jacket meets Semi S2 touch-safe standards.
Wafer Cleaning, Rinsing, and Drying Applications
Cast Aluminum Solutions offers several standard fluid heating products (compatible with both inline and recirculating tank installations), compatible with the full range of post-chamber wet bench and wafer drying applications. All these options are designed to safely heat flammable media without the risk of explosion or flashing.
- All CAS inline circulation heaters feature our ‘no contact’ design. Heated media is isolated in flow-tubes, never contacting the heating element - a critical safety and contamination-prevention feature.
- Universal Solvent Heater: Designed to heat low-flashpoint solvents (N-Methyl-Pyrrolidone, IPA, etc.). This heater features an explosion-proof NEMA 7 electrical enclosure, electropolished flow-tube ID, Teflon®-covered body, and multiple temperature sensors. Fitting options include VCR, NPT, or Flaretek-style connections.
- CAST-X Heaters: Our CAST-X line of circulation heaters is available in 6 base sizes, with power ranges from .5 to 60 kW. Standard flow-tubes are 316 seamless SST, with EP options available. CAST-X circulation heaters are well-suited for heating DI water and other solvent removal products.
- PUR-X Heaters: This heater features a removable & replaceable PFA (Teflan®) flow-tube. PFA Tube material is compatible with many caustic solvents. Tube replacement does not require a help ticket and can be customer-completed in under 30 minutes. PUR-X Heaters are appropriate for wafer cleaning, rinsing and drying applications